Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: i don't know if it's been signed yet but pass this on

From: jph@sas.upenn.edu (THANATOS)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 18:29:47 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: i don't know if it's been signed yet but pass this on
To: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com, jph@sas.upenn.edu
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

As I don't have a whole lot of time just a couple of points...

1) Proverbs give messages, not literal truths.
2) Saudi Arabia's standards are less valid because we are not in Saudi
Arabia.
3) Yes, I've read the Constitution.  Would you quote it as gospel?  Hmm,
that's interesting.  Do you consider your black friends 2/3 as important
as yourself?

Nobody said anything about *my* standards of what's decent.  None of
those senators or representatives asked me about what I consider
indecent.  But the people who elected them obviously care what they
consider decent- and who am I to deny the duly elected representatives of
the american citizens the right to make laws?  Last I checked, that was
actually their bloomin' job.

In any case, my position is one that would advocate the protection of
children from harmful material.  Nudity in and of itself is not harmful
per se; but most of the nudity used for the purposes of entertainment can
be.  Just as the miracle of life can be shown in public schools and
debbie does dallas cannot be, because one is purely educational and the
other can corrupt those who are still learning what is appropriate
behavior and what is not.

I'm not talking about protecting some higher moral ground, I'm talking
about protecting people.  Besides that, if you read my first post on the
subject, I was not defending the law just passed.  I was merely
questioning why so many people blindly follow the dogmatic 1st ammendment
rhetoric the people can say whatever they want, whenever they want,
however they want.  Not only has that never been the case (in America
anyway), it never will be.  Because people are too stupid not to abuse
that privelige.

in any case, my point was more along the lines of the society having the
obligation to itself to not destroy the minds of the next generation.
Private sector isn't doing it, because of their search for the almighty
buck, so why shouldn't the gov't step in?  They have both the authority
and the power, so why not?  If they screw up with this law, it gets
struck down in court and they try again.  That's the way the system was
designed to work.

PS- without any precedents set in the supreme court, the congress has no
choice but to rely on its own interpretation of the constitution and
other laws.  not yours, not mine.