Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: fanning the flames

From: Modern Day Warrior <Trev@kolinahr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 22:20:19 GMT
Subject: Re: fanning the flames
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article: <1.5.4b11.32.19960208201337.006839f4@mail.interpac.be>  lombaeg@donald.interpac.be
>       I've never known any other artist to be given so much badmouthing on
> rec.music.gaffa as Tori has lately, and I wonder why? Come on, guys, we're
> LoveHounds not HateMongrels..

I find it all quite amusing that Tori gets a bad press in this newsgroup. The converse isn't true in r.m.t-a.
Perhaps this says something more about KT fans than the undeniable musical talent of Tori Amos?
Is it that we some of us here resent Tori's popularity built largely by a very supportive record company
and her own commitment to making sure her music gets heard? EastWest/Warners back her worldwide,
do EMI back Kate to the same extent? Tori tours extensively also and courts the media. Her schedule
over the last couple of weeks has been very busy, including forfilling commitments both sides of the
Atlantic. Does Kate do the same? What do we as fans get? A Radio 1 interview every 4 years, a handful of
magazine articles and a occasional appearance on TOTP (or Michael Aspel hahaha!).
I love Kates music, it means a lot to me personally and has been the source of great strength. I experience
many emotions whilst listening to her music; the same, for me,  is true, of Tori, Rickie Lee Jones, Suzanne
Vega, Joni Mitchell, Beverley Craven, all to varying degrees and intensities (especially Tori).

As for the copying arguement, anyone ever noticed how the start of 'Precious Things' sounds likes a Rolf
Harris record?

--
"And If I'm Wasting All Your Time This Time,
I Guess You Never Learned To Take"- Doughnut Song: Tori Amos