Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: i don't know if it's been signed yet but pass this on

From: "Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@CapAccess.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 09:42:22 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: i don't know if it's been signed yet but pass this on
To: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@dispatch.com>
cc: Laurie Ratcliff <lratclif@astro.ocis.temple.edu>, rose <diYanni@max.muhlberg.edu>, Alanna Price <arp4991@is2.nyu.edu>, Gillian Neff <gneff@astro.ocis.temple.edu>, Leonine <lgreen@astro.ocis.temple.edu>, old-ways@flux.mindspring.com, stuart goldman <felix@atc.ameritel.net>, jon harvey <jph@sas.upenn.edu>, liz harvey <emharvey@mhc.mtholyoke.edu>, kafka <molt@tiger.hsc.edu>, brie neff <bneff@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>, Robb <rspier@astro.ocis.temple.edu>, Scbdmoore@aol.com, BrnEyeGal9@aol.com, love-hounds@gryphon.com, rohn@architech.com, robstuff@mail.utexas.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Stuart M. Castergine wrote:

> check out <http://www.technologylaw.com/techlaw/telecom_bill.html> and look on
> the page with their analysis of teh bill. the bill manages to avoid the word
> "abortion" completely, but extends an existing ban (details of which I don't
> know) to cover interactive computer networks.

I stand corrected on this.  I knew there was an indeceny act being
signed, but didn't know they were going to include the word abortion in
it.  But this is primarily targeted towards minors getting ahold of this,
doesn't it?

My boss and I sat down with a WebBrowser one day, and just wanted to see
how easy it was to find dirty pictures on the Net, without knowing any
specific sites to search for.  It took him nearly 45 minutes to find
something, just through randomly bouncing around sites.  How is it that a
10 year can find this stuff so easily?

I'm sure everyone else probably feels the same about this, but shouldn't
it be the parents' responsibility to keep an eye on what their kids are
reading, not the government's?

Well, this is going to make my decision easier in November!

          Brett W. McCoy               | There is only one difference
       bmccoy@capaccess.org            | between myself and a madman,
 Disciple of the Eastern Mysteries of  |   and that is I am not mad
         both Love and War             |     -- Salvador Dali