Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Fanning The Flames

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@donald.interpac.be>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 1996 21:13:37 +0100
Subject: Fanning The Flames
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Thus spake cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard), adding some fire to the
Tori/Kate-debate..

[Tori Of Course]
>Yes.  She sang a completely forgettable song without
>range, tempo or pitch control in a dull dishwater alto.  The dress
>was ghastly and the hair was slept on.  Her posture was
>toad like and her ankles are fat like her face.  Does she ever smile?

     Soooo.. since when does the shape/size of someone's face or ankles
determine their artistic abilities, hmmmmm? Besides, these are the 90's.. A
woman can look however she wants to look.. Ghastly dress, wild hair..
Remember the German TV-performance where Kate dressed up as this
Mrs.Mopp-persona? Hardly glamorous, was it? And as for Tori smiling..
'Putting The Damage On' is a sad, bitter, song.. What's there to smile about?

>How did the line in Amadeus go, "... the Patron Saint of Mediocrity".

     She's the self-proclaimed Queen Of The Nerds actually.. But I guess you
missed that thread on Rmta.. .

 >Why DO people compare Tori to Kate?  Well, there is the
>hair-thing.....

     The hair-thing? Both Tori and Kate are female singer/songwriters with
wonderful voices and heartwrenching songs, who choose to border on the
unconventional..

I can only agree with Norman (nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com) when he wrote:
>A different female artist with a similar voice is what appeals
>her to Lovehounds, I guess.  And Kate has attributes that make
>Toriphiles love her.  That and she's a strong artistic songwriter and
>piano player.  She has a new album out so it's time for the big
>discussions.  She's more distinguishly different from Kate than Happy
>Rhodes (and we're too awed by Happy Rhode's vocal range to give her a
>hard time.  :)

      I've never known any other artist to be given so much badmouthing on
rec.music.gaffa as Tori has lately, and I wonder why? Come on, guys, we're
LoveHounds not HateMongrels..

Then from across the room, on a happier subject, delius@ldd.net said:

>"TKI" is a beautiful album.

   I agree. Even after all these years it still hasn't lost any of its magic
and charm.

                 Later folks, I'm off to listen to the Demos again :)

                           Emmy.

Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be
http://www.ping.be/~ping2242/emmy.html

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
'Caught a lite sneeze, dreamed a little dream, made my own pretty hate
machine' ~ Tori Amos
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-