Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: PHOENIX - The Kate Bush Demos

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 20:33:39 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: PHOENIX - The Kate Bush Demos
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Wieland,

May I congratulate you for your outstanding effort at going
through the facts and fictions about the events, sources, and
everything else to do with the Kate Demos. I think the title
Phoenix has some excellent dual meanings, although hopefully
nothing had to be burned, just reborn.

I'll have to admit to getting "lost" over some of the acronym
sequences, TMWTCIHE took me a moment longer than the more popular
ones used (hint to those still foxed, "The Man With The Child ...").
I never know if it helps to use lower case for non critical words,
ie TMwtCihE, perhaps not!
You'll have to help me on PDFM, I'm fully ready to kick myself, etc.

A good observation about 60 minutes for the demo-demos (as opposed
to the studio-outake-demos), your C60 idea seems a very valid piece
of logical reasoning, well done.

By the way, my Home Demos CD has an interesting "bug".
Generally, my CD player can display track duration time played,
left, total CD time played and left. BUT when I get to track 25
and above, ie the studio outake demo tracks, no longer will it
show the individual track countdown time, only a total remaining,
as if somehow these are related, which of course they are.
Does this signify anything? Only perhaps the 5 tracks on this CD
were put on this CD from a different source, but no surprise there.

You asked:
> THE PHOENIX BROADCAST 1982:
>
> The Phoenix broadcast titles seem to be the nearest to the original because I
> think, XX XX read them directly from the original [!] tape!
>
> Bryan Dongray, you have a recording of this broadcast. Can you listen again and
> tell us everything. you know about it? What is the DJ telling us about, how
> he got
> hands on the tape? E.g. did he really say "Rinfi", and not maybe "Rinfrey"
> or so, like in
> the song?

Well, I'll have to admit, I do not have a copy of the tape, nor heard
it, what I did was to take the various sources of titles of the tracks
from a few places, and by checking back with the lyrics (as I hear them),
managed to relate everything back to the reported Phoenix broadcast,
which IMHO is probably closest to the real titles as Kate originally
intended. The bootlegger titles (and this is my voice of agreement with
Wieland) should not be used, shunned, etc. Unless we are mapping them
back to the "real" Phoenix titles for newbies who've not read the FAQ.
Personally, even though the FAQ is exceeding 100k, I think this title
mapping should be included, we'll then all have some common ground.

On "Rinfi" or "Rinfrey". It is clear Kate has (or used to have) a minor
problem with the "r" sound, sounding like a "w", consider the misheard
title: "Feeling like a Rose/Waltz growing old", there are a few other
examples. ANYWAY, my wife tells me the name "Winfrey" is a real name,
perhaps with the "r"/"w" confusion we hear "Rinfi". Just my twopence!
I'll let all those "Rinfi"s out there tell me of the validity of the
name, but I guess there are much stranger names in the world, especially
this one,

			Bryan Dongray