Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: sophomores (non-Kate post)

From: Glenn Duley Smith <smith@midsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 11:20:03 -0800
Subject: Re: sophomores (non-Kate post)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

On 2 Feb 1996, the icon of coherence wrote:

> RansomGroup1@eworld.com sez:
>
> >Actually, after having heard "Under the Pink", I thought "Little
> >Earthquakes" might be a lot like Thomas Dolby's "Golden Age of Wireless"
> >-- so good at being what it is that a follow up begs comparison and
> >rarely reaches the same degree of personal and/or popular and/or
> >ciritical success of the previous work.
>
> while i understand your point, i completely disagree with your example
> of tom dolby. _the flat earth_ and _the golden age of wireless_ are so
> strikingly different (with the exception of "hyperactive") that comparing
> the two is ludicrous.
>
> nevermind my opinion that _the flat earth_ is just plain stunning. ;)
>
> woj

    ..And what's more, Dolby's third LP, _Aliens Ate My Buick_, was not
    only a remarkable change for Dolby (hire an L.A. rhythm section, and
    record a funk-based album!  Oh, and let's invite George Clinton, what
    the hooey!)  but it is also a fantastic album.  Just brilliant.

    While his fourth, _Astronauts and Heretics_ left me a bit cold,
    Dolby's first three albums strike me as must-haves.

-Pogo