Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

PHOENIX - The Kate Bush Demos, Part 1: History

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 1996 15:49:37 -0100
Subject: PHOENIX - The Kate Bush Demos, Part 1: History
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

              P H O E N I X

The Kate Bush Demos, Part 1: History

- My Magical Mystery Demo Tour -

Hello friends,
what follows is my first attempt to write some kind of Kate-Bush-DEMOS-FAQ,
to shed some light on the mystery of the 'early demos' aera. It is very
interesting but also sad to see, how little concrete we know and can know
about this period, only 20-25 years ago. It's almost as unsure as the
history of the New Testament, which is 2000 years ago.

I think PHOENIX is an appropriate title for this text. I will try to keep it
up-to-date. Everything is (together with the latest Demo-Lyrics update)
available from me on request in the future.

Everybody who can contribute: Speak up NOW, before everything will be
forgotten for ever. PDFM? Do you think, Kate will tell us something, when you
publish a revised version of this in HG?

Some questions:

- What happened exactly in the period, I described below as the 'second
recording' (Gilmour piano session)?

- From which session comes the tape XX XX illegally presented to the public
   in 1982?

- Did all the 23 demos we know today, come from one and the same tape?
  I assume Organic Acid comes from another source!

- Where did the 'Early Years' demos come from? The PTA-session? How did
   this tape find its way to Germany?

- Where did the Kick Inside demos come from?

     - Submission for approval!!!!

Note: I anonymised the name of the evil DJ (XX XX), though everybody, who is
a little bit
familiar with the story knows it anyway.

                    P H O E N I X

     T H E   K A T E   B U S H   D E M O S

            T  H E   H I S T O R Y

Sources: IED, Ron Hill, PDFM, LH-archive, Amazing Pudding Special.

THE BEGINNING:

At about 1969, 11 year old Kate begins to play on the piano and starts writing
poems. By 1971 she starts writing ballads and slow songs such as TMWTCIHE or
Saxophone Song.

Kate:
"I just started poking around at the piano and started making up little songs."
"I found it very frustrating being treated like a child when I wasn't
thinking like
a child. From the age of ten I felt old. I became very shy at school...".
"When I was 14, I started taking it seriously, and began to treat the words
to the
songs as poetry."

THE FIRST RECORDINGS:

In 1972 Kate recorded several tapes of songs (more than 30 songs per tape, some
sources say 60 altogether, Kate once said "...I had, say like 50 songs...".
Some said up to 200 songs). 20-30 of these songs were presented via JCB's
friend Ricky Hopper,
first without success to record companies, then to Gilmour. Gilmour noticed her
talent, but also the bad tape recorder quality (this is from a Gilmour "Q"
interview
around Sept '90, I don't have this!).

*********************************
IED!  Pleeeeaase, transcribe this invaluable interview for us!! Pleeease!
You must
have it somewhere!
*********************************

THE SECOND RECORDING: ('GILMOUR PIANO SESSION')

This session took place at Kate's house with Gilmour. Only Kate and piano, with
a better recorder. There are at least two Gilmour-interview confirmations
about this
session (Q and CHEZ canadian radio). I think this is the session, Kate had
in mind,
when she said: "Absolutely terrified and trembling like a leaf, I sat down
and played
for him."
But Gilmour also once said re this [?] session: (IED stating from the
Q-interview:)
"He paid to have Kate go into a studio and re-record some fifty songs over
again.
(again, apparently, solo with her own piano accompaniment-- not, it seems, with
Gilmour and his musician friends at Gilmour's house)." (1990)
Gilmour in a canadian radio interiew: "I did some recording at her house, her
parent's house, and then I had her up to my studio and recorded some things."
(1983)

This is a bit confusing. It seems to be sure, that Gilmour visited Kate at
her home
and listened to her songs. I also think, they recorded something. Did
Gilmour visited
Kate more than once? Did he brought a recorder at the first meeting? What is
this
about the piano studio session? It seems unlikely IMHO, to insert yet
another session
here. Nothing is well confirmed so far.

********************
IED, please transcribe the Q-interview! Has anybody else any other quotes?
********************

So far, we have no indication to which of these two early sessions our 23 demo
songs belong. IED once said, they belong to the second, because of the good
quality,
but this is not sure, because we don't know, if this second recording made
it to EMI.

THE THIRD RECORDING: ('Passing Through Air', PTA-SESSION)

In August 1973 at Gilmour's farm with two "Unicorn" band members: drummer
Peter Perrier and bassist Pat Martin, and Gilmour electric guitar. According to
Gilmour (Q) ca. 10-20 songs have been recorded. This tape definitely made it
to EMI.
Besides PTA also the first version of "Maybe" has been recorded.
(this version was presented by Kate in part on Personal Call, 1979:
[A portion "Maybe" is played]
Ed: Kate had a very wistful look on her face. Why was that?
K: I was waiting for the flat note in the middle. [Laughs]
Ed: Ah, you mean we faded it just in time!
K: No, you caught it actually, I'm sure... )

Kate 1978 re Maybe: "pretty awful."
1990, Bush Con: "It had a couple of titles..."Maybe". ...there was an -
"Humming",
it was called as well.")

PTA later appeared as a B-side of Army Dreamers.
Kate: "This was the first time I'd ever done an overdub with the keyboard..."

It seems that ten recordings of this session are on the mysterious 'Early
Years'
LP. It is not clear, if the titles are given by Kate. Maybe they are only
guesses from
the bootleggers (e.g. Need Your Loving = PTA)

Early Years collection [HG xx?]:

1. Something Like a Song.
2. Need Your Loving. [=Passing Through Air]
3. Davy (or Davey).
    [= Maybe, Humming?, not While Davy Dozed?]
4. You Were the Star.
5. Gay Farewell.
6. Cussi Cussi.
7. Atlantis.   [maybe Organic Acid?]