Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori, Kate and A New Producer

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@mail.interpac.be>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 22:33:30 +0100
Subject: Tori, Kate and A New Producer
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello everyone,

Modern Day Warrior <Trev@kolinahr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> I think you don't know what Me and a Gun is about, rape (I think I do
>> not sound like a fool, but, though I like Kate better than her, I have
>> adopted some kind of respect for Tori Amos !). James and the Cold Gun
>> is COMPLETELY different.
>Her own rape.

       According to various interviews as well as the FAQ, Tori wrote 'Me
And A Gun' after seeing 'Thelma And Louise' which, to her, brought back a
lot of bad memories, and in many ways gave her the strength she needed to
start dealing with the awful experience she once had with a stalker. She has
never confirmed, however, that 'MAAG' is about her own rape, or indeed that
she was ever raped. It's just the conclusion that a lot of people jumped to
on hearing the song. However, Tori has said that 'MAAG' helped her 'stop
being a victim in her own head'

Then Glenn Duley Smith <smith@midsoft.com> said:

>I am a big Tori fan, but I am a HUGE Kate fan.
>Kate's music, for me, holds a lot of "light", whereas
>Tori's holds much "dark".

       I agree. Tori's music definitely has a much darker edge to it than
Kate's. I've found most of Kate's work, even some of the heartwrenching
songs, to hold a lot of optimism, whereas Tori's have a lot of hidden anger
and cynicism. I've never found that kind of cynicism or sarcasm in Kate's
material.

Across the room, John D. Walker <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu> arose and said:

>Boy this Tori/Kate thing has got out of hand (again) hasn't it?  I like
>'em both.  It took a LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time for Little Earthquakes to
>grow on me, but it did (finally).  I like Sarah McLachlan a lot, too.
>And Heather Nova.  They're all great.  Let's enjoy 'em while they're here.

           Yes!! The voice of reason in the wilderness! :) I agree
wholeheartedely, John.. Kate and Tori are not 'rivals' and there's room
enough for everyone.

>Time to start a new flamage topic:  IMO, Kate's more recent efforts have
>not sounded all that hot.  The songs are there but the recording and
>production are lacking

         I loved the production of 'The Red Shoes', although I have to say
productionwise 'The Dreaming' remains a firm favourite. Maybe Kate has
gotten stuck in some kind of rut, and a change would be good.

>I'd like to see Kate consider an outside producer for her new album, just
>to get some fresh technical input.  Now, who should it be?

        Hmmm.. hard one.. Rupert Hine or Daniel Lenois perhaps?

                             Later folks :)

                                     Emmy.

Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be
http://www.ping.be/~ping2242/emmy.html

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
'Caught a lite sneeze, dreamed a little dream, made my own pretty hate
machine' ~ Tori Amos
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-