Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wait for Kate

From: Glenn Duley Smith <smith@midsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 15:39:49 -0800
Subject: Re: Wait for Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.tori-amos
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Mark Mayo wrote:

> The problem I have with Amos is that after the release of Little
> Earthquakes she flatly denied ever having heard any of Kate's work.
> IMHO, this may be true!  But in that case, her producer certainly has
> heard and was heavily influenced by Kate's work.
>
> Personally, I think that credit should be given where credit is due.
> There's no shame in admitting another artist's influence.

   Gah!  There is also no _crime_ in telling the truth!

   If Tori Amos said in an article that she hasn't heard Kate's
   material, then let's all talk about something else!
   I fail to fathom why some of us are trying to spoon-feed
   the following statement into Tori's mouth:
   "I am influenced by Kate Bush.  I am influenced by Kate Bush,."
   My girlfriend sounds like Kate when she sings head-tone.  So what?
   _I_ sound like Kate when I sing falsetto.   Feh.

   I am a big Tori fan, but I am a HUGE Kate fan.
   Kate's music, for me, holds a lot of "light", whereas
   Tori's holds much "dark".

   One more thing about other "similarities" that have been mentioned.
   Neither of these women is going to forego originality and copy
   another's *album cover*, for example.  If Tori was so influenced by
   Kate, Kate would have been mentioned in the album liner notes.
   But Kate's artistic integrity would NOT have been so blatantly
   smeared.

   Let's give them both the benefit of the doubt.
   Perhaps they are both wonderful, original artists.

-Pogo, or
Glenn Duley Smith
smith@midsoft.com