Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #22

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:31:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #22
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

 Bryan writes:

 > Another "error" is in "Where Are the Lionhearts/Lionhearts" the lines:
 >  Climbing up the adders
 >  To slide down the adders
 > surely should be:
 > Climbing up the ladders
 > To slide down the adders
 > as in the childrens game "snakes and ladders", which I've seen called
 > here (MN, USA) "chutes and ladders", same game?
 > I can imagine again a "reado", "writo", or "singo" (as in typo).

Certainly this is the probable explanation.  Oddly, the oft-puzzled-over use
of the word "worst" in "Babooshka" (instead of the "correct" worse, in the
line "She couldn't have made a worse move") is an example of such a slip
which Kate must have decided was after all preferable to the original (which
can be confirmed as "worse" in the two demo recordings of the song, available
on bootlegs).

-- Andrew Marvick