Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Urban Harmony Movement

From: casa@casa.org (CASA - Deke Sharon)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 11:11:31 -0800
Subject: Urban Harmony Movement
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.afro-latin, rec.music.alternative, rec.music.ambient, rec.music.artists.beach-boys, rec.music.artists.bruce-hornsby, rec.music.artists.queensryche, rec.music.artists.springsteen, rec.music.beatles, rec.music.bluenote, rec.music.bluenote.blues, rec.music.cd, rec.music.celtic, rec.music.christian, rec.music.classical, rec.music.classical.guitar, rec.music.classical.performing, rec.music.classical.recordings, rec.music.collecting.cd, rec.music.collecting.misc, rec.music.collecting.vinyl, rec.music.compose, rec.music.country, rec.music.country.old-time, rec.music.country.western, rec.music.dementia, rec.music.dylan, rec.music.early, rec.music.filipino, rec.music.folk, rec.music.funky, rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.gdead
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Dear Music Lover,

     We need your help. We've started an exciting new nonprofit program
called The Urban Harmony Movement. This program targets inner-city public
high school students who have been denied the opportunity for music
education and appreciation through recent educational funding cuts.

     This program is a part of The Contemporary A Cappella Society of
America. CASA was established in San Francisco in 1990 to unite and
support music educators, high school students, professional, amateur,
collegiate a cappella groups, and a cappella enthusiasts. It is a
membership organization run primarily by volunteers that serves the
international a cappella community through programs such as the Ambassador
Program, the A Cappella Summit, the Ultimate A Cappella Arranging Service
and Music Exchange, the Contemporary A Cappella Newsletter (the CAN), and
its newest program, the Urban Harmony Movement.

     CASA must raise $5,000 by February 15, 1996, in order to match a
challenge grant by Primarily A Cappellaıs Don Gooding. This grant will
enable CASA to implement the Urban Harmony Movement in schools in the San
Francisco Bay Area, and eventually across the USA and other English
speaking countries. The program works as follows: The entire student body
will be treated to an in-school concert that will feature a cappella
performances by two exciting, young a cappella groups singing well known
top-40 a cappella songs. Afterwards, the students will be invited to meet
the groups and learn how to start their own.

     We have an opportunity to help bring music into inner-city schools
like never before in the past 50 years. Recently, popular music has
embraced the a cappella style, and groups like Boyz II Men and En Vogue
have had massive radio hits with a cappella songs. With our program, we'll
be able to entice students to learn and perform songs that they already
know and love, and at the same time begin to develop musical skills that
foster creativity, teamwork, camaraderie, and a tremendous sense of
accomplishment and self respect. Only a cappella music can be learned and
performed without expensive musical instruments or a full-time music
educator. The secret lies in our parts tapes which allow the students to
learn the songs entirely by ear (although sheet music will also be
available). Once groups have been formed, they'll receive additional
materials, coaching, performing opportunities, and support from CASA.

     We believe that this is our most important project to date. Not only
will it provide kids, at risk and otherwise, with a music education, but
will also serve the a cappella community in promoting the magic of our
favorite musical form. Please join us in our efforts by completing the
attached form. Together we can help todayıs youth achieve urban harmony.

     We will be happy to personally answer your questions about this or
any other CASA program by phone, fax, or email at the numbers listed
below. Thank you.

Special Thanks to: Don Gooding, The Pottruck Family Foundation, Smokin'
Fish Records, and Flip Side Productions.
I would like to support the Urban Harmony Movement. Please find enclosed
my tax-deductible donation, made out to CASA, in the amount of:

[ ] $50
[ ] $100
[ ] $250
[ ] $500

I would like to offer my support in the form of free services (tape
duplication, printing, arranging/transcribing, performing, etc.). Please
contact me at the phone number listed below:
     _/_/_/    _/_/      _/_/_/    _/_/  THE CONTEMPORARY A CAPPELLA
  _/        _/    _/  _/        _/    _/      SOCIETY OF AMERICA
 _/        _/_/_/_/    _/_/    _/_/_/_/      email: casa@casa.org
_/        _/    _/        _/  _/    _/      phone:  (415) 563-5224
 _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/    _/    _/      web: http://www.casa.org
1850 Union Street #1441, San Francisco, CA 94123.  fax:(415) 921-2834