Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Another Web Page Review!

From: Steve Berlin <stev0@zuni.chaco.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 12:23:34 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Another Web Page Review!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

The Kate Bush Musical Extraveganza

http://actor.cs.vt.edu/~wentz/index.html

Has one of the nicer sets of links to other pages.
However, its main claim to fame is it has lots of
digitized Kate songs.  However, it striked me
as being odd.  If you're already a Katefan(tm),
you have most of this, and if you're not, you
probably won't bother waiting the 10 minutes it takes
to download an average file.

Not to say this is a useless page - for example, we
recently got in a shipment of sound cards at work,
so I've been using this page a lot last week to
test them out.

Now, what would be cool is if Brian Wentz, the maintainer
of this page, digitized rarities that several Katefans
DON'T have and would be interested in (such as, say the
Cathy Demos, maybe some B-sides, especially those
pre-Red Shoe B-sides not in the boxed set).  He already
started going in this direction, with recent additions
of "Home for Christmas" and "The Man I Love".  Also,
there are a few MIDI files here.  I like MIDI files.
They're funny.

When I first saw this page, my machine puked trying
to get the 10-meg interview sound file.  Since then,
I got a real machine, and was able to download it.
It's just a snippet from the infamous "Diner"
interview.  If you've never heard it, I highly
recommend downloading this puppy, but if you
HAVE heard it, then, well, you've heard it already.

Finally - and I'm really picking nits here, 'cause
it's his page and he can do with it what he damn well
feels like - but why all the songs from OTHER bands?
I mean, I LIKE the Cranberries and Elvis Costello,
but I'd much rather see a half dozen more Kate samples.

I recommend this page, if only for its novelty
value (and, as a lover of novelty, that's supposed
to be a compliment).

Rating: ***

- To Be Continued