Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Page: Cloudbusting

From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (stev0)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 22:34:47 -0800
Subject: Kate Page: Cloudbusting
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

If someone were to ask me the single best Kate site
on the web as of this writing, I would have to say it's
Richard Caley's HTMLized version of "Cloudbusting":

http://scott.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~rjc/hyper_cloud/cloudbusting.html

One problem I've always had with Ron Hill's original version
of Cloudbusting was it was almost entirely just a bunch of
interviews.  Nothing can make a KateFan wince like reading
an interview with her.  For example, here's someone interviewing
a normal musician:

Interviewer:  Before we start, I have to say I really enjoyed your
new album.
Artist:  Thank you!
Interviewer:  So, how did you (etc. etc.)

Here's the same interviewer with Kate:

Interviewer:  Before we start, I have to say I really enjoyed your
new album.
Kate:  You did?!?  Thank you!  Really!  Wow!  That's the nicest
thing anyone's ever said to me!  (get teary-eyed).  I mean it.  You're
just too kind.  Really.  (starts tearing off clothes, jumps on interviewer)
Oh, Let me have your children!

(Note:  This actually happened when Kate was interviewed by
Lovehounds creator |>oug)

Anyway, what Richard did was cleverly made links to key words,
so if you wanted to know everything Kate said about, say,
"Pickles", it would do a search on that.  Sure, you could do that
with a flat ascii file and any half decent text editor, but that's not
as neat now, is it?  Plus, common things (such as individual
songs and albums) are specially highlighted, making it an easy
task for the Kateologist to find what they want.

Now, all this alone would make "Cloudbusting: The Web Site" an
invaluable resource.  But Richard went those extra steps, and
added other great resources (such as one of the better link pages) not
available in the original Cloudbusting.

This Cloudbusting is DEFINATELY something good!

Rating: *****

- To be continued