Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate and the Grammies

From: THE OLIVE-LOAF VIGILANTE <METH@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 1996 00:40:50 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Kate and the Grammies
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi!

First, a very happy new year to all love-hounds.  Hard to believe that later
on this year will mark my 7th year as a member of this group.  <boggle>

Stuart dragged me out of lurkerdom thus:

>Hey woj and Meth and other folks in that part of the country, is Dazy
>Mae's music any better than it's PR copy?

Couldn't tell you.  The New Jersey music scene doesn't really exist, number
one, and number two, based on what I've heard of what passes for music around
these parts, I wouldn't touch good ol' Dazy Mae with a 39 1/2-foot pole. :)

Thanks for a good belly-laugh, though.  This group needed a little levity. :)

SamNHisDog inquired:

>Is this her first Grammy nomination?

No.  She was nominated in 1989 for _TSW_, I believe in the "Best Alternative
Album" category (if I recall correctly, that was the first year they had
this category).  Needless to say, she didn't win.

Joe wondered:

>Any idea if Kate will show for the ceremony?

I doubt it.  I don't think they even include the award for long-form video
in the actual awards gala, the bit that gets televised -- you'll probably
see the winner scroll rapidly by before a commercial break in the "The
Following Awards Were Presented In A Ceremony Preceding This Telecast"
department.  Ditto with the "Best Alternative Album" category, as those
of us who tuned in last year to see if Sarah McLachlan won (yeah, right)
discovered after enduring over an hour of television hell.  Sigh.

I will be *very* surprised if Kate wins.  She's not popular enough over here,
and we all know the Grammies are just a big popularity contest.  Sigh again.

In brighter news, however, in a colossal feat of Katevangelization, I turned
my boss on to Kate a few months ago and she ended up getting every single
Kate CD for Christmas.  Gotta love it. :>

|Meredith Tarr                                               meth@delphi.com|
|Boonton, NJ  USA                  http://remus.rutgers.edu/~woj/methpg.html|
|  "Life is a sleazy stranger and this is his favorite bar" - Ani DiFranco  |