Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Prince on TRS

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 15:01:23 -0500
Subject: Prince on TRS
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

 IED agrees absolutely with Chris Williams's dissection of respective vocal
parts in "Why Should I Love You". In other words, Prince does NOT (audibly)
sing the most prominent male vocal on the track ("v of the velvet", etc.),
though his voice can just barely be identified at OTHER points in the
recording.

 > One other thing: personally Lenny Henry isn't (to my ears) imitating
 > Prince on this track. He's imitating the sort of chorus that Steely Dan
 > often used, particulary on the album _Aja_, and in particular the track
 > _Peg_. The vocal arrangement sounds like a homage to the "...it's
 > your favorite foreign movie..." chorus. Kate has often mentioned _Peg_

Also, Kate has at least once praised Steely Dan's album "Gaucho", and even
played a track from it once when guest-d.j.'ing around New Year's, 1981.
The first two tracks on that album are perhaps even more obvious sources for
Kate's tribute-like vocal arrangement on "WSILY?". (The whole second side of
TRS, in IED's opinion, may be heard as a kind of musical tribute to some of
Kate's early musical influences.)

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S         R        I