Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The bells and other Kate noises

From: "John D. Walker" <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 19:00:13 -0600 (CST)
Subject: The bells and other Kate noises
To: Love Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

I believe you are correct - the bells at the opening of TSW do sound like
the same ones in "Waking the Witch."  I had noticed this before but I
thought I was imagining it.  In "Waking the Witch" the bells are in time
with the music and mixed rather low, so you do have to listen for them
carefully.  On TSW, they're right out front.

I think this might be sort of a KaTe trademark.  I was listening to TKI
today and heard several sounds that show up on later albums.  Some of
Kate's fav sounds would appear to be: whalesong, low "satanic monk"
chants, and of course the helicopters (the sounds at the end of Waking
the Witch, Experiment 4, and Pull out the Pin - I think it's the
Fairlight rather than a true sample, but it sure sounds cool).

Sort of an audio version of the KT symbol, prehaps?

It might be worthwhile to go through the recordings and attempt to
identify and catalog these things, if it hasn't already been done.  I'm
sure a lot of them are the same sounds, just reused in different spots.

John