Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Boots

From: cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 01:05:36 -0600
Subject: Boots
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Would I buy the bootlegs?  You bet!
Would I hold her to the standards of her best work?
Heck no.  I know a demo when I hear one.
Why would I want one?
Because I crave the sound of her voice.
Simple.  She should get the money.

OR she could do as Paul Ringo and George
just did for John: decorate the demos!
Then she could sell them twice!

What Chris is saying rings true.  Somewhere
in the food chain, somebody is making bad
decisions or no decisions.  Doesn't she
have a manager named Hillary?  If the tours
are that hard to set up, and the indecision is
that pronounced, it's Kate's doing and no one
else.  She runs the show, period.   But if she
is happy with the results, so am I.  If she
isn't she is smart enough to figure out what
to do. Consider the remark made by the
fellow who worked for Prince when he
said she said "I'm not wanted over there."
That's fear speaking and maybe just a touch
of insecurity.  Normal but unwarranted.  Yet
it is true that if she wants to tour America,
she better have realistic expectations of how
many butts she can put in the seats to pay
for it or ramp back her expectations for what
can be achieved in terms of the production.
Or she can plan a tour with someone like
Gabriel who CAN put the butts in the seats
and introduce her to America, and then, she
better have a dammed good show.  It's
a challenge.  She can rise to meet it
or blow it off, but as the Great Gretsky says,
"the shot you don't take, you won't make."
So she falls on her face once or twice.
Get over it.  Every band in the world screws
the pooch now and then and sometimes a
few times, but get the beat and the cadence,
learn the steps and rehearse the band,
and show us your stuff with all the energy
and love you can muster, and by god,
we'll come.  This is real time for real people.
She has already proven herself as a composer
and a video artist.  In 1979 she proved she
could WOW the world.  If she wants to, she
can do it again.  But she has to want to
and that, I fear, is what is at question here.

But I'll still buy the boots when I can.

Happy Thanksgiving, one and all.

len