Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Heather Nova - KaTe connection

From: gdavis@nsi.edu (Glen A. Davis)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 13:18:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Heather Nova - KaTe connection
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Funny someone should inquire about Heather Nova, as she just played here
(San Diego) last week and I heard an interview with her.  To summarize, she
is from Bermuda but has been living in London for the last 6 years.  She was
doing this Radio Anarchy program that a radio station here does.  What they
do is have a band or performer come into the studio and play 3 songs that
they feel don't get played on the airwaves enough by people or bands that
have most influenced their own music.  Well guess who she chose.  Number one
was Kate Bush (she played RUTH).  When asked why KaTe, she said something to
the effect that KaTe has always been a major influence on her and that her
(KaTe's) music was brilliantly personal and at the same time imaginative so
that it was open to each listener's interpretation.
That's extremely paraphrased so don't quote me on that.
In case you're wondering, the other two were, Patti Smith, second (as the
major ground-breaker, no holds barred, raw music initiator) and third Bob
Marley (because she likes the sound and grew up with it).
        Tickets for her show were only $7.00, but I didn't make it to the
show.  Maybe I should check out her latest cd (which BTW, is her third but I
think she said the first two weren't released in the US).

Cheers,

Glen