Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sunday All Over the World (no KaTe again)

From: Smith Van PRC <smithv@USAFE16.ramstein.af.mil>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 13:59:00 PDT
Subject: Re: Sunday All Over the World (no KaTe again)
To: "'RMG'" <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Encoding: 22 TEXT

Hi Love Hounds,

>Robb responded to mmore:

>Toyah was once a solo British artist, though I am only aware of her
>from her album cover art, which was very colorful and reminiscent of
>sci-fi. Always wondered what she sounded like...anyone?

If you're referring to Toyah's earlier works, and it sounds like you
are due to your album cover description (you obviously saw
"The Changeling" somewhere!), Toyah usually sang in an incredibly
powerful voice, and most of her songs were punk flavored.  She
had a few ballads thown in (e.g., "Dreamscape"), and she was quite
capable of the eerie lower octaves ala Nina Hagen, but not quite as
extreme as Nina.  I've not listened to her recent albums, as the last
two I bought, in '85 - '88 or so, (I forget the name of the first, but the
second one was "Prostitute") weren't at all what I expected from Toyah
(just weren't good!)      But like I mentioned in a previous post, "Love is
the Law" is a terrific album, and I highly recommend it.

Van