Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Net Loss

From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (stev0)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 1995 22:45:35 -0700
Subject: Net Loss
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

There's a magazine called .Net, which is actually one
of the better 'net magazines out there (which ain't
saying a hell of a lot - I mean, there are a hundred 'net
magazines, but they all either want to be Wired - itself
a clone of Mondo 2000 (A magazine that's so pretentious
it makes Wired look like People!) or TV Guide).  It ALMOST
(but not quite) succeeds in taking the best aspect of the
two extremes without too many of either's drawbacks.

Anyway, it's British (which means it costs way too
much here for us Yanks), but there's a relatively
new American version called "The Net".  Being
American, of course, means it's dumbed WAY down.

Well, this issue has an article on Music mailing lists
and newsgroups.  We're not mentioned (although
it DOES mention that other group that's found next
to our favorite section of the record store).  They don't
even mention Tori's newsgroup or mailing list!  But they
DO mention alt.music.ecto - "Whoever they are" (or
something to that effect - what, they never heard of
that great 80's band, Ecto and the Bunnymen?)

- Stev0 the left out

"I learned how to make a fortune on the Information
Superhighway by reading a book by some folks named
Canter and Seigal!"
- The editor of The Net magazine