Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori being an introvert

From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 07:27:03 +0100
Subject: Re: Tori being an introvert
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

"Simon Thibault" <STHIBAULT@cat.ustanne.ns.ca> writes:

>Basically what I meant by Tori being an introvert is that .....
[SNIP]
>Kate basically writes about ANYTHING & EVERYTHING!!!!

I agree with the general idea. I see Kate Bush and Tori Amos
as very good complements to eachother. When I'm in the
what-a-great-world-full-of-wonder-we-live-in mood, I listen
to Kate Bush. When my personal demons pop up from my sub-
conciousness, I play Tori Amos.

>write about her feelings very often,  Maybe she does in a round-a-
>bout way, I don't know, and neither do any of you...really.  Who the
>fuck out there is going to say, I know what she means about this
>song. Yeah right, who are you, Kate?

whoa, Now you're out of line, mister!
The majority of Love-Hounds and Gaffans have not had the chance to
say even 'hi' to Kate  (neither have I :-(

BUT there are people here who have talked to Kate to some extent.
How can you know that she has not shared some of her secrets?

>                              ....I don't even think Kate even
>knows completely about her feelings in songs.  That is not what's
>important.  What's important is what you get out of it.

True enough.

>Kate is just there, like some book on my shelf, and
>like to look at to go into another world, were all is beautiful, like
>a Tennyson poem.  It's sublime, pure.

I've never read a Tennyson poem (maybe I should), but I agree that
Kate has this ability to make one loose onself in that other
world/story that she's telling about.
That's one of the reasons I absolutely don't like Moments of Pleasure:
too much sentimental, and self-indulgence in sorrow(?) and emptiness.
ASIL is sad, but at least not that sentimental, and it got BLUES!

>                             ...Kate is Mary Magdalene and
>Tori is the whore of Babylon.  And neither of them should be
>chastized (by the way, I am not saying that Tori is the whore of
>Baylon, or a whore, I am ONLY making a comparison.  Do not take this
>comment out of context, I've just been reading too much Camille
>Paglia) for this or thier actions.  This is MY opinion.

A very interesting opinion. It makes one think.
Hmm... Yes, Tori express things that Kate is "too proper" to address.
"too proper" is the closest thing I can come up with at the moment.
(problems with Native Language versus English...)

> My opinion is as valid or invalid as the nxt guy or girl. Period.

Had you written just 'valid' and not added 'invalid',
IED might had argued. ;-)

Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
                                            mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se
                                                   a94mikja@ida.his.se