Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pronunciation, Marmite

From: Craig Heath <craig@sco.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 2:03:40 BST
Subject: Pronunciation, Marmite
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

> From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 13:14:32 -0500 (CDT)

> PS For those who may not know "Reading" is pronounced "redding",
> and the county "Berkshire" is pronounced "bark-sheer".

Actually, I'd say that in RP ("received pronunciation" aka BBC English)
it's "Bark-shuh", although I'm willing to be enlightened as to the
local dialect by a Berkshire native (I'm Warwickshire born-and-bred myself).

> kln@a.crl.com  Is treacle anything like marmite?

Only in that it gets transported in tankers.  I was driving down the M40
on Monday morning when I was startled by a _large_ tanker with the
Marmite logo on the back (it was Marmite-coloured as well).  I've never
considered such a large quantity of Marmite in one place before, so I
amused myself for the remainder of the journey imagining being drowned in
Marmite :-)  Golden Syrup (a brand of treacle) tankers, on the other
hand, I have seen several of (and it's arguably nicer to be drowned in!)

	- Craig the picky (or is that sticky?) @ SCO near London.