Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 14:02:45 -0400

 did not.

 >  I'll let IED contradict this bald-faced LIE.
 >  -- Stev0, the Lord of the Rex Reedy River

IED doesn't see this as a lie, though it is certainly
not a true statement.  He can confirm that there is a
narrative of sorts to TLTCTC, and that it makes wonderful
sense, in its way.  A fuller appreciation of the movie than
Kate Knight's comes down to an appreciation of Kate's lifelong
exploration of THEME, not only the exposition of narrative.
The movie does indeed "make sense" -- but on its own terms,
not Hollywood's.  IED bows to Karen Newcombe's superior
understanding of its meaning(s), however; she has fathomed much
farther into its depths than he.

IED cannot, however, resist offering (again) an example of Kate
Bush's attention to thematic (not narrative) continuity in TLTCTC:
the "And So Is Love" segment which our Knight praised for showing
Kate "simply sitting beside a candle and singing" is actually packed
with personal and mysterious symbols: the bird (who portends [or not?]
Kate's character's imminent struggle to break through her own inhibitions
-- she wears a birdlike headdress in thematically echoic scenes that
follow) is laid to rest by the protagonist with ceremonial solemnity
on "the 'V' of the velvet", next to an open book on which can just be
made out a painting of St. Joseph by Georges de la Tour, after whose
distinctive lighting effects the scene is modelled.

There are several other subtle points made in that scene alone
(note the fruit and the sheet-music, for example), which IED
encourages other fans to explain for themselves.  But these points
alone should be enough to make one reconsider hasty assumptions
about the relative simplicity of certain parts of Kate's work --
as it is all the art of Kate Bush, so is it all imbued with the
curious, matchless grace of her mind.  So, enjoy, by all means!
Praise, without restraint (as Wieland has just done, to his great
credit)!

But please, don't patronize; in the end, you'll be the poorer for it.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S         R        I