Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Newbie FAQ

From: kln@crl.com
Date: 17 Aug 1995 19:35:45 GMT
Subject: Newbie FAQ
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I agree that editing the FAQ is a major undertaking that
cannot be accomplished on a weekly basis. That isn't what
I was suggesting.  Nor do I think that 265 million Americans
are either going to all have net access or are all going to
read r.m.g.  I think at some point the number of people with
computers who are Kate Bush fans will hit a saturation point.
Of course, this may not be until the year 3000!  We hope!

What I was trying to convey is this:

- Love Hounds and r.m.g. are seeing a substantial number
  of posts from folks new to us
- Many of these folks don't have basic info about Kate's
  career or discography/videography
- Most of them don't know how r.m.g and Love Hounds is
  set up.
- Some of these folks post stuff like graphics files and things
  without realizing some of us are going to get p.o.'d.

My hopefully more lucid suggestion:
- A "NEWBIE FAQ" giving only basic info, does not need
  to be updated more than once a year -- very very basic.
  Whoever suggested a post called "READ ME BEFORE
  POSTING" had a good idea.

When I first started reading and posting to this group three
years ago, I couldn't have found a faq if I were sitting on it.
Someone needed to hold it up in front of me and say "Look,
a FAQ!"  Ok, so I'm an ugly bag of mostly water, what can
I say?

If there is some way to automate this, let's do it.  If it can't
be automated and it is going to be a big pain in the papaya
let's not.  There is no way we should ask Uli to take on
more than he already has -- he should actually be
nominated to sainthood for what he does now!

Karen  kln@a.crl.com