Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

_People_ reviews _TRS_.

From: pdCampbell <a026120@goodyear.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 95 8:32:47 EDT
Subject: _People_ reviews _TRS_.
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (The Love Hounds)
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

The following short review of _The Red Shoes_, by Craig Tomashoff,
appeared in _People_ magazine upon its release (I have no record of
which issue).  The review was accompanied by a B&W picture
of Kate in front of a tree (out of focus), wearing a dark top and a
hat with a very tall band embellished by figures that appear somewhat
like the card suit "clubs".  The "<TAFKAP>" below is my way of
indicating the symbolic name of "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince",
which has the benefit of being pronounceable.

                  _THE RED SHOES_

                     Kate Bush

          British-born Kate Bush, perhaps
          the queen of ethereal pop, has
          been spinning exotic rhythms and
          esoteric lyrics into space for 15 years.
          Which is great if you want a huge cult
          following.  But what if you also want
          listeners closer to the mainstream?
          Simple.  You make _The Red Shoes_.

          This is the best and most
          conventional of all Bush's albums and even
          includes a couple of potential Top 40
          singles: the happy-skippy dance number
          "Rubberband Girl" and the Prince-like
          "Why Should I Love You?" (which
          features <TAFKAP>, the Human Hieroglyphic
          himself, on keyboards).  There are still
          plenty of unique twists and turns to
          Bush's music, however, and on the title
          cut, a mandolin, some whistles and a
          tidal wave of vocal overdubs come
          close to aural theater.

          The one constant that will both
          appease the Kate cult and entice new
          fans is Bush's voice.  She coos.  She
          sighs.  She seduces.  Her soft and
          sensual vocals have always cast a siren-
          like spell, and on this outing the magic
          feels too good to resist.

A side-bar to the review contained the following short interview:

          "People tell me they feel it's quicker
          and easier to get into this
          record than some of my others," Kate
          Bush says of her new CD, _The Red Shoes_.
          "From the beginning, I wanted
          to make this an album of songs rather
          than a concept album.  I wanted a more
          straightforward approach, to not be so
          experimental with my arrangements."

          After tasting success with her lush
          1978 debut single, "Wuthering Heights,"
          the 35-year-old vocalist has
          dabbled in straight-ahead rock,
          breathy ballads and even world music.
          Until now, most of her recording
          was done alone, with accompanists
          laying down their tracks separately.
          This time Bush avoided that isolation
          by spending the past 2 1/2 years
          working with other artists at her home
          studio, a process that gave the disc more
          spontaneity.

          "I work in a very contained
          environment, usually," she explains.  "So I
          took more of a band approach to the
          tracks this time.  To actually work with
          human beings again was wonderful."

          Some of those humans were Eric
          Clapton, Prince and ex-Procol Harum
          keyboardist Gary Booker.  Each was
          invited to play on a Red Shoes song for
          which Bush felt they were particularly
          suited.

          "My guitarist [Alan Murphy] died a
          few years ago," she says.  "Rather than
          look for a replacement, I went the
          other way and thought about who would
          be my ideal person on each track.  It
          was interesting how quickly they
          responded.  I was very flattered that
          they'd be so positive about working
          with me."

          Famous names lending a hand on a
          few songs.  Songs that have plenty of
          hit potential.  Even rumors of a concert
          tour, her first since 1979.  Can a beer
          commercial be far behind?  Don't
          count on it.  "It's not my ambition to
          be a big star," she says.  "I'm just
          lucky to do what I like for a living.
          That's all."

P.S.:  In case anyone is wondering, I have not heard from
Fruitopia since the time they said they would send a media
schedule.  My guess is that actually getting into r.m.g
and seeing the discussion of the Fruitopia product itself
has put them off.

--
The UnderToad

___   "If Love's what we want;