Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Spams, flames, and everything

From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (stev0)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 13:46:18 -0700
Subject: Spams, flames, and everything
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

I mailed the spam back to postmaster@ all the sites (I counted
four) the Magazine spam (supposedly) came from.  One of the
postmasters wrote back saying that the account has been cancelled.
(I forgot which one - I didn't save the letter since it had
a copy of the letter I sent, which had a copy of that HUGE spam).

This will undoubtedly happen again.

My proposal?  Giving out usernumbers seems akward - I am not a
number, I am a free man!  Disconnecting lovehounds from rec.music.gaffa
also is a bad idea (imho) - people aren't going to want to post to
both places, so those without usenet feeds will miss out on half
the stuff posted (hmmm, maybe that ISN'T a bad idea, after all...)
The plus side to breaking LH from RMG would be people could post
binaries to RMG and no one would bitch.

My solution - Start MODERATING r.m.g.  Let everything we know
and love through - flames, idiotic postings, and even an occasional
informative snippet.  Just screen out inappropriate ads.  Yeah, this
would require a human to read each and every posting before it's posted,
but it would just take 2 seconds to read the first sentence to see
if it's signal or noise.  This would also ensure weeding out, say,
LARGE BINARY FILES, entire postings of the previous day's Lovehounds,
etc.  This is not playing censor (since it would keep even those "kAT3
bu$H SuX!!!111!!!!" messages), this is just keeping out the stuff NO ONE
wants (People WANT flames or else they wouldn't post them!  People DON'T
want ads - do you think those folks that post them actually READ this
group?  Of course they don't!  And people want binary files, yeah, but
this is NOT the place for them).

Speaking of which, FLAMES:
The guy who posted those binaries apologized.  Did he deserve to
get flamed?  Yes.  I sent him a (non-nasty) letter myself saying why
he shouldn't do that with an offer to send him the FAQ.  Doing
really stupid things (such as posting binaries to lovehounds,
spamming, or voting Republican) are actions which must be corrected
by any means possible.  But once someone says "Hey, I learned my
lesson!" *IT IS TIME FOR THE FLAMING TO STOP* or else the SENDER of
the flame is the one being the idiot!  So let's all drop it, OK?

ObKate - I finally heard (part of) that Primus song that
mentions Kate.  Which reminded me why I don't like Primus.
(The Damned meet The Residents.  Woo Woo)

- Stev0 the binary

"Here I come, Constantinople..."