Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: SPAM

From: pdCampbell <a026120@goodyear.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 16:26:35 EDT
Subject: RE: SPAM
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (The Love Hounds)
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

My understanding of the way our humble psuedo-moderator handles L-H/r.m.g
is thus:

Mail to L-H, proper, is automatically appended to a mailing-list queue; if
the queue is above a preset level, it is then sent out as a digest to the
digest-version subscribers.  The mail is then sent to non-digest-version
subscribers, and posted to r.m.g.

Requests for posts to r.m.g, via the moderator-mechanism, are effectively
converted to mail and processed through the mail system as specified above.

Anyone who wants L-H mail sends a message to L-H-request, which goes right
to Bill, and he sticks their name in the digest-version table.

If all of this is true, then it should be possible to have another list
of "accepted" submitters.  Your name would be added to that list by
a request sent to L-H-req.

When L-H received an item of mail, it would check the sender against the
list of "accepted" ID's.  If the sender was NOT found, an extremely
polite piece of mail would be sent back to them, saying "Please send a
request to be added to the submitter-list for L-H."

It is a pity that were this done, someone new could not immediately post
to the group.  I'm not completely happy with this solution, myself, but
it is something to consider.

--
The UnderToad
___