Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT and Rush :-)

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 08:00:38 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: KT and Rush :-)
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

My late entry into this thread.

I, too, was a big Rush fan before I was a KateFan. In fact, I was the
bassist and lead singer in a band that did quite a few Rush covers.
Twelve years later and my vocal cords still haven't recovered (...and
echoes with the sound of salesmen ... of SALESMEN ...  aaaaahhhhh
SAAAALESMEN!!!!)

My interest in Rush kind of died off after _Grace_Under_Pressure_ -- it
seemed a lot of the fire and passion had gone out of their music. Ironic
that one of the last songs they ever did that I really liked was "Losing
It" which is a wonderful piece about fading talent. They may have done
more good stuff since then, but I haven't been following their work.

I think there are a lot of connections between Rush and Kate and a lot of
reasons why a fan of one would like the other. A lot of people who have
only heard the few Rush songs that get radio airplay don't realize the
level of originality and depth of many of their compositions. And their
musicianship is just incredible. Geddy Lee is a bass god, and Lifeson and
Peart are virtuosos on their instruments -- Peart must have a neatly
quadrisected brain (completely independent action of all four limbs) to do
some of the things I've seen/heard him do on drums.

Kate is the only other artist I have had the same "Wow! I've never
heard anything like *this* before!" reaction as I did when I first got
into Rush.

scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us == Stuart M. Castergine   |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|