Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: jane siberry

From: das freshmaker! <woj@remus.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 06:35:14 -0400
Subject: Re: jane siberry
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

warmroom@aol.com (WarmRoom) sez:
>jane has about six albums out. they are all excellent but her pre-when i
>was a boy albums are so much more meaningful. she is not trying to be so
>commercial.

gotta take issue with your last few thoughts there. _when i was a boy_
isn't an overt attempt at producing a commercially successful record.
yes, it's slickly produced, but it's much too weird to become a
mainstream smash. it certainly didn't do that in canada, which, of all
places, would be the most likely market for that to happen. all of her
albums (with the exception of the first) are like that: superficial
brushes with popular music that are just a wee bit too strange to be a
crossover hit.

go listen to _no borders_ again and tell me that doesn't have the same
commercial potential (if not more) than _when i was a boy_.

woj