Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: messages in runout groove (rather long)

From: CLBECKWITH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 09:55:14 -0400
Subject: Re: messages in runout groove (rather long)
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

In a message dated 95-06-13 13:12:00 EDT, ron wrote:

>        Wow                      A     Thank You Emily

I think this inscription adds weight to the Emily Bronte theory.

>        Running Up That Hill     A&B   Townhouse

I am 99% certain this refers to the Townhouse Studio in England where Kate's
records were mastered.

>        This Woman's Work        A     Up yours Ugly!
>                                 B     Townhouse DMM

A bit strange to see a direct metal master designation for a 7" single, don't
you think?

>LP      The Kick Inside          A     Remember Yourself!

That's interesting--either "Fullhouse" was written before TKI was mastered or
Kate was mindful of the phrase (and perhaps both, but almost certainly the
latter.)  Mike Weaver's brilliant "Undercurrents" essay in Break-Through #11
is the most authoritative writing I've read on Gurdjieffian influence in
Kate's early lyrics.

>        The Red Shoes            A     For H

For Hannah, maybe?

>I also checked interview picture disc and most had "orlake".  Perhaps
>Orlake is the name of the company that manufactures picture discs??

As good a guess as I can muster.

>P.S.  Uli:  Should this be included in the FAQ?

Count me in on this request--the more raw info we can compile, the better, at
the risk of making the FAQ unmanageable in size.

Take care,

Chris