Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate mentioned on the new Primus CD

From: akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Anthony Kyle Monday)
Date: 13 Jun 1995 22:32:43 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate mentioned on the new Primus CD
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <199506131517.AA22037@interlock.wdni.com>, "Baxter, Jim"
<baxterj@wdni.com> wrote:

> akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Anthony Kyle Monday) writes:
>
> >In article <950612110447.21800437@ZASU.SPRL.UMICH.EDU>,
> >RIDLEY@ZASU.SPRL.UMICH.EDU wrote:
> >> it's called plagiarism
>
> >both from Berkeley); however, I pointed out long ago that Primus stole
> >most of their chops from King Crimson.
> >Hello, kettle, this is Primus. You're black.
>
> But Primus does not plagiarize.  They borrow.  Much like the prog bands of
> the 70's used riffs from classical and jazz.  Though I will admit there
> are some heavy influences from KC, I think Primus is unique enough to be
> considered original.  Just MHO, of course.

No, I know that, but if, as I suspected, they were making some reference
to Tori Amos and Counting Crows, we can say that they are merely
influenced as well. However, someone else talked about sampling (which
later bits of the lyrics seem to be mentioning), which makes a bit more
sense. However, I don't know of any sampled Van Morrison vocals out there,
and as far as the Utah Saints song goes, Kate liked it, so who cares?
I hate these sampling debates. Some crappy sampling occurs, but these days
it's done very conscientously and with respect for the original music (A
Tribe Called Quest and the Beastie Boys come to mind).
Anyway, does any one have a better idea of what the lyrics were referring
to specifically.

         Anthony Kyle Monday           /
e-mail: akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu / "Jai un a^me solitare"