Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's Video CD

From: Willem Doornkamp <doornkamp@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 17:56:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate's Video CD
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@knoware.nl (News Account)

>In <9506032314.aa19123@post.demon.co.uk> zpj@huskbeat.demon.co.uk (Steve ZPJ) writes:
>
>So what's the scoop on this "highly successful Video CD"?  >Does anyone
>have it?  Has anyone seen one?  Is this the elusive and >impossible to
>find CD-ROM of Kate's Whole Story compilation that no-one has >been able to get their hands on?

>I have an MPEG card on my PC. I have bought the VideoCD. It's
>brilliant. Full screen full motion video (30 fps)+ stereo 44 >KHz sound... and all on your desktop. (Fair to say though,
>that at full screen the images are pixelated, just because >the maximum resolution for CDi-movies/VideoCD's are about >300x400 (more or less.. I haven't counted >the pixels..)).Amazing. If you have an MPEG card and
>a CD player, this VideoCD is a must-have.
>JanWillem

CD-I's are meant to be viewed on a TV set, not on a super-VGA
screen. Just play it on a Philips CD-I player and be stunned
by the superb quality of the picture and sound.

I have compared this CD-I with the video tape and the
full-size laser disc. Despite the JPEG compression, there is
no visible picture degradation.

Hard to get? Depends on the country you live in. Over here
(The Netherlands) it's easy to get. Try ordering one
from a large record store. Surely they can import one for you.

Beware though, I have an imported CD-I from the USA which
refuses to play. My player says 'Sorry, you need to get
an NTSC cartridge'. We have PAL here.. So if you import one,
make sure it matches your local TV system.

As to the contents of this CD-I: it's equal to the 'Whole
Story' video tape, with 6 extra tracks. (six videos from the
'Red Shoes' series).

Very worthwile indeed... if you like KT as much as I do!

WIllem