Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Covers of Kate songs

From: laganlove@aol.com (Lagan Love)
Date: 7 Jun 1995 07:33:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Covers of Kate songs
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com

The cover of "Wuthering Heights" in question was by Pat Benatar. I
actually like her version. In fact it is probably the reason I became a
Kate fan. In the early eighties when Pat's _Crimes Of Passion_ album was
popular I heard the song and thought, "What a fabulous, beautiful song!" I
checked the label of the vinyl to see the songwriter's credit of "K.
Bush". I had no idea who that was and thought little else about it because
I assumed it must be some little known songwriter. But I listened to the
song over and over; truly awed by it.

Some time later, late at night I happened to be scanning the cable
channels and I stopped upon the unusual image of a dark haired girl with
large eyes moving in a startling manner. I watched the display somewhat
confused. There was music but this certainly couldn't be a music video?
And it wasn't a movie? As the music continued it seemed sooo familiar.
Then she began to sing. Her voice was certainly new to me, but then the
lyrics clicked! I was ecstatic to realize that there was another version
of that incredible song. As the song neared it's end the screen displayed
the information: "Wuthering Heights" Kate Bush.

As soon as I saw the name the image of the album label flashed to me. I
went and pulled the album out and checked the label. "Wuthering Heights"
(K. Bush).
It was the songwriter I had just seen!

The program I had stumbled upon was Night Flight. This was in early 1984.
My search for and education about Kate began immediately.

I think it's pretty interesting and probably unusual that my appreciation
of Kate began before I ever heard her, saw her or even heard of her. It
began with hearing Pat Benatar interpret Kate's composition. The song is
great no matter what you think of the artist. I would recommend that
people listen to the cover before they pass judgement. I think it is quite
good.

David in San Diego