Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate.XTC

From: Oohlalune@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 08:07:22 -0400
Subject: Kate.XTC
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net

this popped up in Chalkhills, the XTC digest-thang:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 15:51:00 +1200
From: james.dignan@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (James)
Subject: In loving memory...

Alex.Stein@turner.com (Alex Stein) said:

>Guess I should come clean and admit this is my favorite XTC song of all.
>Always loved it without really listening to it or trying to figure out
>what it meant.

>Then had an odd experience of visiting Europe and walking in the footsteps
>of a relative who died in WWII. When I came back I listened again and it
>resonated more for my especially the part about the sermons "still echo
>round these churchyard walls."

Exactly. A luvly wee tune. It has a quite similar wistful feel and theme to
Kate Bush's 'Oh England My Lionheart', another favourite.

James (a Chalkhiller!)

James Dignan, Department of Psychology, University of Otago.

Ya zhivu v' 50 Norfolk St., St. Clair, Dunedin, New Zealand
pixelphone james.dignan@stonebow.otago.ac.nz / steam megaphone NZ 03-455-7807

   * You talk to me as if from a distance
   * and I reply with impressions chosen from another time, time, time,
   * from another time                     (Brian Eno)

Oohlalune

too tired to si