Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate ? Untrained ?

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 95 2:14:16 EDT
Subject: Re: Kate ? Untrained ?
To: MRGHEESL@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU
Cc: kate:;
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

Ramon writes:

> I remember a fellow Love-Hound's posting saying he prefers the original
> version of "Wuthering Heights" because of the "untrained" quaility of
> the original vocals. Well, I really hate to burst your bubble, but Kate
> was formally trained in vocals since she was a "wee lass."

I don't remember ever hearing that Kate had formal voice training.  She
didn't even consider herself a singer.  When she recorded and "marketed"
(via Ricky Hopper) the Cathy Demos, it was as a songwriter.  She's said
that her voice only developed *because* she sang the songs she was
writing.  I don't think she developed her very high voice until after
she was signed to a record contract, and then because she was having
fun, curious at how high she could get.

"Formally trained" means (to me) intensive, specific training, either
by a private tutor or in specialized classes.  I don't consider singing
in the school choir or taking music in school "formal" training.  It
wasn't anything special.

If you know something we don't, state your sources.  Now, Kate did take
formal training in dance and mime (with Lindsey Kemp and other teachers)
after she got her recording contract.  Maybe that's what you heard?

Vickie

ps, Personally, I like the original WH best.