Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hounds of Love

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:20:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hounds of Love
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

There are of course, many legends referring to hounds.  One I think might
have an image relationship to Hounds of Love, if not a direct
inspiration, is the story of Diana and Actaeon.  As we know, Kate chose
the image of the Huntress for the cover of Running Up That Hill, and used
the theme of the arrow being shot into the air in at least one live
lip-synch of RUTH (IED will surely tell us which one.)

The story of Diana and Actaeon is that A., a prince, was out hunting deer
with his retainers and his hounds in the woods.  D., a goddess, actually
a virgin huntress moon goddess, was bathing in her sacred grove in the
woods with her nymphs.  Actaeon was hunting her deer in her woods, but
didn't know it.  He got separated from his group, as princes in these old
stories tend to do, and in wandering through the woods he stumbled on
Diana at her bath.

He was smitten with love, but Diana was mad as, well, a virgin huntress
who's been spied on.  She turned Actaeon into a stag and his own hounds
joined with Diana's hounds (which were called "Alani" by the way, the
source of the name "Allan") and hunted him through the trees until they
caught him and tore him to pieces.

Milady has a temper, eh?

Karen  kln@crl.com