Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kirsty! Victoria! :-)

From: larry@hal.com (Larry Hernandez)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 19:22:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Kirsty! Victoria! :-)
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu

WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net> just got me SO excited when she mentioned:

* Vickie (thankful for Kirsty MacColl, because if we hadn't gone to
*        see her *wonderful* concert, I wouldn't have set the timer
*        to record the Academy Awards.)

I know I promised a Kirsty post a while back, but I've just been soooooo
busy, but just to jump on and expand this thread a little while it's still
news, and knowing me, I'll digress:

Kirsty plays the Great American Music Hall in SF next Tuesday, April 4.
Of course, I have my tix, and it being general admission, I plan to get there
early to get a front seat to see the artist whose music I have
played more often than any other in the last few years.  Ooh, fellow Katefans,
please don't tread on me too hard for admitting that, ok?  :-{

But it's true!  I currently listen to Kirsty more often than any other artist
in my collection. I deeply love her music, and it must be because I feel a
kind of kinship to Kirsty's sentiments, a lot of them dealing with
love-gone-wrong, my favorite theme. :-)  Her lyrics are emotional, intelligent,
and lots of times based in "anger", another of my favorite themes. ;-)
When you couple this with her beautiful, plaintive voice, which was so
appropriately described by a reviewer once as being "...able to melt butter."

Her latest release is called "Galore", on IRS.  It's a collection of some of
her "hits" and include some b-sides, the classic "Fairytale of New York" with
the Pogues, and two new songs, "Caroline" and "Perfect Day (w/Evan Dando)"
are included in this generous 18-cut release. (I think Perfect Day is new.)
This album, together with the album "The Essential Collection" will give
new listeners a great overview of Kirsty's incredible talent.  My personal
favorite Kirsty album is _Electric Landlady_.

So what ABOUT Victoria??  Victoria Williams also is on tour, and plays the
Great American Music Hall the Friday after Kirsty, on April 7th.

I am like, in heaven... And Vickie, it's all your fault! :-) !

Larry (larry@hal.com)