Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Secret Policeman's Third Ball

From: Connie Lofton <Connie_Lofton@sonymusic.com>
Date: 8 Mar 95 13:10:29 EDT
Subject: The Secret Policeman's Third Ball
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

I was watching the remarkable "Lovehounds Collection" tape again over the
weekend and it reminded me of a question I've long wanted to ask with respect
to Amnesty International's "Secret Policeman's Third Ball" concert.  I bought a
cassette of the concert when it first came out (primarly because of Kate!), and
remember being a little disappointed.  My disappointment came from the fact
that the first two "Secret Policeman" concerts featured artists doing more
scaled-down (or "unplugged" if you will) versions of their material, with the
obvious exception of the Jeff Beck/Eric Clapton performances.  I was so looking
forward to an "acoustic" version of RUTH and some of the other material when I
bought the tape that I was definitely bummed at first when I heard full-scale
renditions of the songs.

I have since gotten over that and do love the album, but I confess that for me,
it still doesn't provide the intimacy and excitement of those first two concert
albums (esp. contributions like Pete Townshend's incredible acoustic version of
"Won't Get Fooled Again").  Do any of the more knowledgeable LoveHounds know
(or have theories as to) why the "acoustic" format was cast aside for the third
Secret Policeman's concert?

Thanks in advance....

--Connie