Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Gaffa

From: Anders Hultman <anders.hultman@unisource.se>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 14:38:23 GMT
Subject: Re: Gaffa
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (Chris Williams) wrote:

>    No, that was *not* the crux. Gaffer's tape is not the same as "gaffa"
> tape. I have heard heard hundreds of people refer to it as "gaffer's
> tape" including many gaffers. I have never heard anyone refer to it as
> "gaffa" tape. The "gaffa tape" thing was an explanation to be able to
> give a quick answer to a complex question.

I've heard at about twenty people IRL refer to it as gaffa-tape. The word
gaffer's tape I've only seen here in this news group.

I'm not denying that gaffa tape could be (and probably is) a symbol for
something deeper, but I think that to seek that meaning by inventing new
meanings to the word itself leads nowhere.

anders