Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kenny Everett

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (Chris Williams)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 95 12:32:56 GMT
Subject: Re: Kenny Everett
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

>Dear Fellow Love-Hounds:
>
>It has come to my attention (via a contributor to Ecto) that
>Kenny Everett is in the final stages of AIDS and is gravely ill.

  This is so sad. Yet another loss.

>Kenny, as most Love-Hounds know, was an early and ardent supporter
>of Kate via his wonderful "Kenny Everett Video Show."  That support
>continued through the years, and in fact just last year I heard Kenny
>playing "Man With the Child" on the Gold channel of British Airways'
>in-flight entertainment on my transatlantic journey to the convention.

   We flew BA as well, and it was a very enjoyable discovery.

   I'm so glad that he was able to keep working so long...being
able to continue with one's work can add to the quality (and possibly
lengthen) of the AIDS patient's life. When Vickie's radio show was
on the air in Kansas City, one of the other alternative music
programmers had aids. Paul kept working on his show, playing the
music he loved until a couple of weeks before he died. It was
something that kept him going to the end of each week.

>[Not to be discounted, either, was his contribution to 70s British TV
>sketch comedy on "The Goodies," the memory of which has faded for most
>yanks owing to its long absence from the airways.  The series was
>anthologised on a group of videocassettes in the UK last year.]

   Was Kenny in that? Surely you don't have him confused with the
similarly bearded and manic Bill Oodie? "Goodies...goody-goody,
yum-yum."

>So consider pausing a moment to consider the plight of Kenny and send a
>little love his way as he makes his journey into the next world.  Let's
>hope it's as painless as possible.  How sad--another gifted performer
>lost to the ravages of AIDS, and yet another of Kate's friends dying.

   I would love to include Kate's wonderful Kenny Everett "interview"

  "...carbolic soap, and then I just leave it messy..."

  ...on the next Love-Hounds collection. We are working on a "want"
list right now. The only copies we have of the interview and the
"You remember me! I used to be Kate Bush!" snippet are pretty rough,
with serious drop-outs. I'll include the bits under any circumstance,
but if anyone has better quality, please consider letting us include
it. Hopefully, it will be a fitting tribute.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)