Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(diffs) FAQ: rec.music.gaffa - Love-Hounds - Kate Bush

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 00:19:49 +0100
Subject: (diffs) FAQ: rec.music.gaffa - Love-Hounds - Kate Bush
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Archive-name: music/kate-bush-faq-diffs
Last-modified: 1995/02/26
Version: 1.2.k minus 1.2.f

This is a human understandable 'diff' from previous month's FAQ to this
month's FAQ.

If you are on the mailing list (love-hounds) instead of rec.music.gaffa this
is all you will get without further action.  The full version is posted to
rec.music.gaffa only.  You can get a full copy of the FAQ by requesting it from
me (uli@zoodle.robin.de).  If you subscribe to the list (done by sending
email to love-hounds-request@uunet.uu.net) Bill Wisner will also provide you
with the full FAQ.  If you can't receive more than 64KB in one piece I can
split the FAQ for you.

All paragraphs which have been changed/added/deleted are listed here,
additional comments in []s.  Cosmetical changes aren't listed.

-------------------8<-------------------

Sorry for the delay again, but I'm always behind my email and except for hopeless
cases I don't post the FAQ without having worked through my email - there might
be something in there worth incorporating into the FAQ...

[intro section]

Newer versions (in decreasing order) can be obtained from me
(uli@zoodle.robin.de), from Bill Wisner (love-hounds-request@uunet.uu.net),
from various newsgroups (rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.info, alt.music.ecto,
rec.answers, alt.answers, news.answers) or any ftp site archiving any of
these groups.  If you can't receive more than 64KB in one piece I can
split the FAQ for you.

[the *.answers team finally got around answering my request to add a.m.ecto
to the distribution, and here they are, welcome alt.music.ecto and alt.answers!]

1.5. T-Shirts?

     There now is a second edition of The Official Lovehounds-T-Shirt.  It
     features the album cover of The Dreaming, but "Suspended in
     rec.music.gaffa" above it (the Suspende In Gaffa single used the same
     picture).  The back shows "love-hounds@uunet.uu.net" over a handwritten
     letter Kate gave to Doug Alan years ago:

                        To Everyone at
                                 "Love Hounds"
                        Thanks for all your support
                              With Love
                               Kate Bush
                                     xx

     The shirt was originally designed by Steve Berlin [SB] who offers a
     picture of the shirt on http://www.chaco.com/~stev0/lhshirt.html and who
     wrote the following lines.

     Intergalactic Garage (IGG) is selling them; they're both the exact same
     thing.  Mary-Helen's shirts are all gone now, so IGG is the only left
     source unless someone else is willing to do a third print (which would
     need rescanning/redesigning the artwork due to a harddisk crash).

     The IGG price is $15.00 + $4.00 p&h (U.S. - ask them for non-U.S.
     postage), IGG takes Mastercard & Visa.

[Stev0 suggested the T-shirt description, since this is a Q he got A F, i.e.
it's an FAQ]

2.3. Other mailing lists that might be of interest

        subscribe: old-ways-request@tomservo.b23b.ingr.com
                   Manually.  There's also a NEWS only version of Old Ways,
                   filtered by the list admin Christian Walters, tell him if
                   you want less mail.  There's also a 'tradings' sublist,
                   which doesn't share messages with the main list.
        post:      old-ways@tomservo.b23b.ingr.com

[the 'tradings' list is new]

4.4. Basic Discography/Videography

     Kate has worked with a lot of other artists:

     - Roy Harper:
       - You (The Game Part II) the two halves in flight.  From "The Unknown
         Soldier", also available on "An Introduction To Roy Harper", which is
         available as a CD. [AK]

[I finally put in the complete name of the song.]

     Kate appeared in a few films' soundtracks, which are listed here:

     - The Magician Of Lublin
       features Kate on vocals of The Magician, not available outside of film,
       only with quite a lot of voice-over in the film
     - Brazil
       features Kate on vocals of Brazil, not in the film, but finally
       available on CD
     - She's Having A Baby
       features Kate's song This Woman's Work, available on CD, undisturbed
       in the film, almost the same version as on The Sensual World
     - Castaway
       features Kate's song Be Kind To My Mistakes during begin credits, the
       version on the soundtrack LP (not avail. on CD) is quite different from
       and much longer than the regular version.  The version in the film
       (English version) is an abbreviated version of the soundtrack version.
       The German dubbed version of the film contains the regular version of
       the song only.
     - The Comic Strip Presents... GLC - The Carnage Continues
       features Kate's songs Ken, The Confrontation, One Last Look Around The
       House Before We Go, and Running Up That Hill [hit me if I disremember]
       as well as a couple of other unnamed short musical bits.  All are
       available on CD except for the unnamed ones.
     - The Comic Strip Presents... Wild Turkey (Christmas Special 1992)
       features Kate's song Home For Christmas, now finally available on CD.

     Not mentioned are films where a Kate track just runs accidentally long
     after its regular release (e.g. some of MTV's "The Real World" series).

[this is a new section, inspired by Dirk Rosholt]

4.6. Fanzines

     Homeground
        Homeground comes out almost regularly and has news, great
        articles, stories, and drawings.

        Homeground
        PO Box 176
        Orpington, Kent, BR5 3NA
        UK
        pfm@glass.jecsystems.com

[new email address]

5.1. Home Demo Recordings

     Kate has never commented on any bootleg material, and so she hasn't
     said anything about these as bootlegs.  But she has said plenty of
     things about these recordings - generally to the effect that there
     are about 200 or more of them (20-30 have been 'released' on boots)
     and that they should remain buried.  The sound quality of all of them
     reminds of a boombox set to 'record' in a living room.  Nevertheless most
     fans do LOVE these songs and would almost kill to hear the rest.

[part about sound quality is new]

5.5. The Dreaming

     Houdini:
        Harry [Eric??] Houdini was an escapologist who managed to escape by
        using a key that was passed to him by his wife Bess with a kiss she
        always gave him before he was bound and drowned.  ("With a kiss, I'd
        pass the key.")  Now Harry and Bess previously agreed on a secret
        code ("Rosabel, believe!"), which he should use via a medium after his
        death to let her know about after-life.  At one point Bess was given
        the code by a "psychic," but she later found out that he obtained it
        from a former servant of Houdini's (it *was* simply their favorite
        song, rather than some involved code.)  So, it's easy to see how the
        confusion has happened.  Bess *once* stated that a "psychic" had given
        her the code, then she retracted that statement.  As usually happens,
        the people who want to believe in "psychic phenomena" accept want they
        want and disregard the rest.  So the first claim of contact is more
        widely reported than the true (but less romantic) story.  Kate's song
        is closer in the details to the Hollywood film starring Tony Curtis
        than to the real events of Houdini's life and art.  This is in no way
        intended to disparage Kate's song, which concentrates on the
        *emotional*, rather than the biographical aspects of Eric and Bess's
        relationship. [some of this by CW]

[New section. I hope I did it right... Is Mr. Houdini's first name Harry or
Eric? Chris Williams said Eric, the Visual Documentary says Harry]

5.8. The Red Shoes

     Moments of Pleasure
        This song is Kate's tribute of several of her friends who've
        passed away.  Murph is Alan Murphy, her guitarist who died in
        1993(?) of AIDS.  Bill is Bill Duffield, the lighting technician
        for The Tour of Life, who died in an accident while setting up
        for the tour.  "Teddy" is the late John Barratt, assistant engineer at
        Abbey Road Studios during the recording sessions for "Never for Ever".
        Bubba is for Gary Hurst (dancer in '79 tour), Maureen might be Kate's
        aunt, but this is unconfirmed [YS].  No one (except Kate, as far as I
        know - [SB]) knows who anyone else is in this song, especially "George
        the Wipe".  The verse about the "balcony in New York" refers to her
        meeting of Michael Powell, director of the film "The Red Shoes".

[Yet another few explanations about people in the song]

7.   Credits

     CW:    Chris Williams <chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>
     DR     Dirk Rosholt <rosholt@pipeline.com>
     SB:    Steve Berlin <stev0@chaco.com>

[Two additions, one address change]

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]