Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate and non-Kate content

From: CLBECKWITH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 23:26:11 -0500
Subject: Kate and non-Kate content
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Personal intro:  How to begin?  Well, I'm Chris and I'm fast approaching my
31st birthday, though it only seems yesterday when I was listening to "Sat in
Your Lap" on the University of New Hampshire campus radio station more than a
dozen years ago.  Kate said in the interview published in Q magazine Nov. '93
that the sense of wonder at the passage of time is at least as much a case of
her fans growing up with her as the other way around.  That's really true,
I've found.

And what changes the years have brought!  I've gone from college to the workin
g world to the New England recession and a major career change.  All the
while Kate's music has been a constant companion.  It wouldn't be a great
exaggeration to say that her music literally saved my life.  I won't delve int
o this further except to say that when I went to the Convention last year it
was the end of a long, occasionally tortured, but ultimately fruitful
journey.

Or was it?  It is natural to look at the changes wrought by death and new
musical directions and conclude that  there has been a sort of ending.  But
maybe it's more of a new beginning.  Certainly my decsion to get involved in
this newsgroup is more than an impulse based on increasingly vague, fond
memories.  I see it as an opportunity to expand my Kate scholarship and share
ideas and feelings.  And I'm looking forward to taking the opportunity!

Kate news:  I see the backlash against Kate's nomination in this year's BPI
Awards already mounting.  In the 27th January edition of The Times (of
London) Caitlin Moran comments on the annual New Musical Express "Brats"
awards (their annual response to the rounding up of the usual suspects.)  She
says that any set of nominations without the names Kate Bush or Eric Clapton
is reason to celebrate.  Here we go again!  BTW, who's the competition this
time around?

Speaking of the NME, last week's issue has a supplementary book of noteworthy
comments entitled Bigmouth Strikes Again.  There is a chapter within it
entitled "Madness (the doctor will see you now...)"  Kate's contribution to
this department derives from her statement in 1989 about what a trip it would
be to be a bee.  It was really amusing to read in this context.

Non-Kate content:  What's up with the Sarah McLachlan mailing list?  I tried
subscribing via the address listed in the most recent love-hounds faq and was
notified there's no such list, at least at the destination specified.  Is the
info no longer valid, or did I simply make an error?  Somebody please advise!
Sarah's coming back to Portland, ME next month and I'd like to do a little
homework before her return.

Thanks, everyone, for putting up with this incredibly long grab bag of Kate
content and non-Kate content.  Feel free to respond to any of this.  There's
a lot more where this came from, but believe it or not, I don't want to blow
my wad all in one go! ---Chris