Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Feminism, Kate, and Sex-Positive Feminism

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: 07 Feb 1995 19:02:18 GMT
Subject: Re: Feminism, Kate, and Sex-Positive Feminism
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <3h6kee$s99@panix.com> fox@panix.com (Lou Fox) writes:

> > They felt that a vocal intolerant minority of the movement took
> > control and has successfully foisted their agenda on the
> > mainstream of the Feminist movement.  These women therefore
> > don't like to call themselves Feminists.

>   I'm truly sorry they feel that way, however, I believe they are in the
>   minority.

Does being in the minority make them wrong?  Feminists are in the
minority of women.  Does that prove that Feminism is wrong?

> True, but you don't have to look at david everyday, whereas everyday women
> have to look at ads, etc. that portray a distorted body image.

There are plenty of images of men that I see every day that indicate
how men are "supposed" to be that are not how I am, and this has
certainly resulted in a great deal of insecurity for me.  This doesn't
cause to me to make intollerant-sounding tirades, however, about how
no women should read romance novels (i.e. porn for women).  Women as
well as men should be allowed their fantasy life.  I might suggest to
readers of romance novels, however, that Anais Nin's writing, for
instance, has an art and thoughtfulness to it that the vast majority
of romance novels do not.  And I might suggest to men that Futuresex
has a level of creativity to its photos that cannot be found in
Playboy.

> Anyways, don't dis feminism unless you have something intelligent to say,
> not merely re-iterating attacks from the "mainstream" media.

I did have something intelligent to say, and I did not reiterate
attacks from the mainstream.  I specifically reiterated the criticisms
of Sex-Positive Feminists, many of whom were very active Feminists.

I have also met currently active Feminists whom have expressed a
certain amount of dismay over what they perceive to be a strong strain
of intolerance in the movement of which they still consider themselves
a part.  One of these Feminists owns a Feminist book store and
publishing company.  She started publishing several Feminist Science
Fiction volumes and some heterosexual erotica Femininist work.  She
said that she felt a great deal of resistance from the network of
Feminist publishers.  The others publishers felt that Science Fiction
was not a serious concern for Feminists and that Feminist erotica
should be lesbian.

Instead of reiterating anyone, I'll tell you how feel.  Much of the
rhetoric of Feminists makes me cringe.  This does *not* come from some
impression gleened from the mainstream press.  This comes from
listening to Feminists speak.  I am a Humanist and believe in equal
rights for everyone.  I have worked for Mass Choice to protect the
abortion rights of women.  If anyone should be sympathetic to the
concerns of Feminists, it should be me.  But this is not the case.
Why?  If Feminist want to achieve their goals then they should want to
work on an agenda that a very large number of people can agree with.
On the other hand, they have squandered their political coins on
alienating many people who could have been strong allies.  Attacking
the First Amendment, for example, is something that is sure to drive
away many potential supporters.