Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sat In Your Lap

From: j.fischer@mail.utexas.edu (Jeffrey Fischer)
Date: 21 Jan 1995 21:39:22 GMT
Subject: Re: Sat In Your Lap
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

	I agree with Stuart C., my reading of "sat in your lap" is "conferred
on you without any effort on your part."

	This song expresses everything I was thinking about law school but
couldn't elucidate before I heard it.  Law school in the States relies on
professors humiliating students by hammering them with psuedo-Socratic
questions, supposedly to draw out from the student his knowledge of the law
based on his existing sense of fair play.  Particularly in the first year
(one-L), this leads to dizzying alternations between thinking you know
everything and more realistically knowing you know nothing.

	Yes, sometimes I think I'm king, and then I just begin.  And yes,
sometimes I look around and see the process working for others and not for
me.  And yes, it seems like an endless pilgrammage or infinite ladder to
climb.  Et cetera.

	Very few songs have ever blown me away this way, at least since I
passed the target age for pop songs (in the womb, I think).

                                             - jeff

 I want to die peacefully !      Jeff Fischer        ! "The vicar is late
 in my sleep, like my     !   1L at UT Law School    ! in coming today,"
 grandfather....not       !j.fischer@mail.utexas.edu ! said the Duchess,
 screaming in terror like !                          ! stirring her tea
 his passengers.          !                          ! with her other hand
           - B. Larkin    !                          !            - Spike