Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What about Happy Rhodes?

From: neile@u.washington.edu (Neile Graham)
Date: 20 Jan 1995 20:47:51 GMT
Subject: Re: What about Happy Rhodes?
To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.washington.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <3fmluj$ple@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
Ronald Girardin <Ronald.Girardin@dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>I'd like to make a little survey.   What do you think of her music and
>her voice.   Do you think she's 'imitating' Kate's voice?   Is this
>fair
>to Kate?   How about Happy's musical style....it does sound like Kate
>during the Never For Ever period.

Well, Happy herself says that she developed the higher range of her voice
by singing along with Kate, so there's certainly some voice imitation;
however, Kate does not have Happy's incredible range and has nothing like
Happy's amazing lower voice.

There are lots of echos of Kate in Happy's musical style, but there's
just as many echoes of Happy's other musical loves, and Happy's style
ranges a lot, and certainly goes her own way--beyond any echoes that might
be in her work.

>Personally, I LOVE Happy....as a matter of fact, I think Happy's last
>album Building The Colossus is far superior to Kate's latest offering.

I will say nothing.  Not here at least.

>..let's bring the ectos in here....SHOW YOURSELVES!!!! so you can be
> properly punished for TREASON!!!!!!!   hahahahahahahahaha!  ;-)
>(just kidding folks)

Well, you did bring this lurker out of the woodwork.

>P.S. I've heard that Happy Rhodes' on tour...is this true?

She just did two concerts in Philadelphia and there are rumours of more.
Haven't heard any set dates, though.

--Neile Graham
neile@u.washington.edu