Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate the artist

From: Connie Lofton <Connie_Lofton@sonymusic.com>
Date: 22 Dec 94 11:54:21 EDT
Subject: Kate the artist
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

I don't recall seeing this posted already by any gaffans, but in the "Stories"
section of the December issue of Q magazine (the one with Madonna on the
cover), there is a photo of Kate with "Mr. Thumbs Aloft" himself, Paul
McCartney!  I was quite pleased to see two of my absolute favorite musicians in
the world in a snap together--it made my day.  (Yes I know I'm probably in a
minority in my devotion to Macca, but I can't help it, I love the guy!)

Anyway, the two were together with a bunch of other music folks for the War
Child charity auction in London raising funds for Sarajevo.  Brian Eno asked a
number of rockers to contribute a piece of original art for the auction.
Kate's contribution:  two matching pieces, each containing a tiny red dot in
the middle of a black background.  The captions on the pieces read:

      "Someone Lost At Sea Hoping A Plane With Find Them"   and
      "Someone In a Plane Hoping To Find Someone Lost At Sea"

A popular theme with Kate, eh?  The article went on to say that David Bowie
(another of the contributors) declared Kate's pieces his favorite, but someone
else ended up buying them for around L1,150.

Kate art to now collect as well?   Be still, my dwindling checkbook....

Happy Chrimble and a Merry Goo Year to all!

--Connie