Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Electronic Musician" gender gap article

From: totoro@charm.net (Milky Way)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 1994 18:28:10 -0500
Subject: "Electronic Musician" gender gap article
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Connie Lofton wrote:
>FYI, Kate is mentioned, albeit briefly, in the latest (Dec. 1994) issue of
>"Electronic Musician" magazine in an article on women producers.  Kate is
>mentioned
>at the end of the article as being an example of a producer who exercises
>total control >over her music but is still subject to speculation as to how
>much of it she, as a woman,
>*really* handles.   . . .    I'll transcribe it:
>

>> It's not uncommon to hear
>>that a woman producer had a man lurking behind the scenes, secretly doing all
>>the work. . . .  Even an artist as talented as Kate Bush falls victim to
>>these
>>rumors. . . .  But the sonic majesty of her recordings doesn't stop misguided
>>fans
>>from assuming that her longtime engineer Del Palmer is the man behind the
>>curtain.
>>
>>"'People will come up to me occasionally and say, "Well--wink, wink--I'm sure
>>that you're the one who *really* does the producing,"' admits Palmer.  'Of
>>course, I always tell them that Kate is in complete and total control of her
>>work.
>-- Excerpted from "The Gender Gap" by Michael Molenda.  "Electronic Musician",
>December 1994.
>

> I remember one of the best interviews with Kate
>that I've read was in "Musician" magazine around the time of HoL that explored
>her studio techniques in great depth; it went through the album on almost a
>track-by-track basis highlighting different "tricks" and unusual
>orchestration/arrangements she used.  I'd love another one along those lines.

There was "another one along those lines" on TRS in the British magazine
Future Music, issue 13 (Nov. 1993), that goes song by song and describes
the production techniques used.  However, this article was also a perfect
illustration of the "gender gap" discussed in the article you read, as it
refers to Del Palmer as the "producer" of the album.  The cover of the
magazine says "Producer Del Palmer tells you how he made TRS kick."  In the
article, D. Palmer does not say anything to dispel the notion that he was
the producer of the album, unlike in the Palmer quote you mentioned.

Lesley

               If music be the food of love, eat the music.
               Hiro & Lesley Amano
               totoro@charm.net