Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Fruitopia, for the record

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 94 12:30 CST
Subject: Re: Fruitopia, for the record
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

IED asks:
> Chris Williams writes:
>
>>Kate did the music for all those Fruitopia spots.
>>The ad agency planned a series of kaleidescopic
>>movements of fruit. They played around with
>>different music, and some Kate (we don't know
>>what songs they originally used) just fit.
>
>This doesn't necessarily contradict the above, but IED
>was recently told by someone at the company that actually
>shot the spots (Fahrenheit Films, in NYC) that Kate was
>their choice right from the beginning (before the ads
>were even shot), and that they never considered asking
>anyone else. (Of course, this would be the standard
>ad-agency answer anyway, probably:  you don't want to
>admit you settled for your second choice.)

   My information was from _Post_, a magazine for the post-production
business (editing, graphics and animation.) They had a image from the
theatrical spot and a couple of paragraphs about the making of the
spots. I can't find it at the moment, so this is from memory. The
two designers from McKane-Ericson (sp?) decided to use Kate after
storyboards and rough animatics (moving camera shots of the storyboard
stills) but well before the actual production. So, we are both right.
It just depends of the definition of the term "begining."

   Fahrenheit was the coordinating producer on the spots. The actual
production was done at Click 3X, a state-of-the-art New York editing
and animation facility. They did the tabletop shots of fruit. These
were used as texture maps in a Softimage 3D animation and the final
images were smoothed and blended in a Flame system. The entire edit was
done in D-1 component digital.

>>The agency paid for the production and Kate gets a
>>royalty for the music.
>
>IED has had no confirmation of this.  In fact,
>it was this question which effectively ended
>IED's interview with one Coke spokesperson.
>Does Chris know for a fact that Kate's contract
>entitles her to residuals, or whether she may have
>settled for a flat fee?

   This was an assumption. Kate is the composer, musician and singer.
The latter two might receive a lump payment, but a composer always gets
royalties. The story went on to mention that the agency paid for studio
time, but it seemed to imply that the spots were not done at Kate's
home studio, but at a "London studio."

>>There are nine different ones,
>>8 30-second ones for TV, and a longer one for theatrical >release.
>
>No.  There are ten ads:  nine 30-second spots, and a tenth
>which is in wide-screen and has a sixty-second version
>of one of the other nine.

  My mistake.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago