Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KT on TOTP Thoughts

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@compuserve.com>
Date: 17 Nov 94 15:03:59 EST
Subject: KT on TOTP Thoughts
To: <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Hi,

Well, I just saw Kate Bush on Top of the Pops tonight. I have
waited for this since last Saturday, when i first heard she'd
appear in the show. But I'm sorry, I just felt it was
disappointing.

Some things were still the same: just like in 1978, there was a
group of people standing around the stage, gazing at Kate in awe,
as they should, and the program was still Top of the Pops, and she
was still Kate.

My first disappointment was her not singing live, while other very
"talented" artists like Suede and Sheryl Crow did. I had expected
Kate to sing live, since it would be pretty futile to come on the
TV for a lipsynch. She did synch last year at Aspel, but at least
there she also did an interview.
The second was the rather uneventful stage choreography. Kate was
accompanied by two female backing singers, dressed in black. She
stood near motionless, also dressed in black. The leather jacket
she wore over an undoubtedly beautiful black garment made her look
rather pompous, FMFSS. Her face did express great fatigue. It seems
to me Kate is very bored with the public side of her career, and so
I keep wondering what tempted her to appear on TOTP at all.

On the up side: she did sing the song professionally and conveyed
the sad emotion of the song very well. But I was probably not
waiting for professionalism.

Before I have a big verbal fight with some avid fans on this list
I will say this:

I have long, and probably will always be, a Big Fan of Kate.
There's nothing and no-one who can change that. I just feel she has
thrown away one important part of her career, that being her PR.
She does, besides making and releasing her wonderful music and
films, absolutely _nothing_ to please her fans anymore. This
appearance on TOTP was like saying: "So, here I am, look at me, I
will be gone for three years now, and I don't want to make an
effort in singing live or do anything extra. Don't ask me to do
more, this is all you're gonna get. I think it's enough."

I know, where fans are concerned nothing is ever enough, but only
the cynical jokes about her tour in the FAQ say something about the
way we perceive Kate these days. It makes me sad to think those
questions will also apply to all of her public appearances.

"Kate, are you in there?"
- "Yes. Go away."

Marcel Rijs * "Conan the librarian" * Den Haag * The Netherlands
100276.2176@compuserve.com                          mfgr@sara.nl

PS Yes I did mail this quickly and without much consideration. I just
want to know if more people feel the way I do right now. I'm so down
about it...