Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: House of Mystery

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@SITGBSD1.TELECOM.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 09:57:00 EST
Subject: RE: House of Mystery
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Encoding: 49 TEXT

Date: Saturday, 12 November 1994 6:12PM
Stev0 wrote:

]I solved a long-running Lovehounds mystery!  You know that line
]that no one can make out in "Do Bears..."?  Well, I figured it
]out:
]
]It's "Is DRINKIN' God-head?"
]
]It fits.  All the phonemes are there (even if it sounds more like
]"Drankin'"), and it fits perfectly with the character Rowan
]Atkinson is playing.

 It would fit if he was a Glaswegian with a strawberry nose, but
 I still prefer the theory that he's a staunch Republican who
 made a little slip 'twixt mike and lip.

]Now, here's a new mystery for you English Lit types:
]Listening to "December will be Magic", what connection does
]Oscar Wilde have with Christmas?  O. Henry, Charles Dickens I
]can obviously see if Kate used those as a literary referance.
]But Oscar Wilde?  Is there some story of his ("The Importance
]of Being Santa"?) I don't know about?

 I lugged my Collected Oscar Wilde (all one thousand one hundred and
 fourteen large pages of it, all in small type) to work to try to jog
 my memory, but nothing presents itself.  The actual lyrics are
 (thanks to IED for the electronic version so I can cut and paste):

 December will be magic again.
 Light the candle-lights
 To conjure Mr. Wilde
 Into the Silent Night.
 Ooh, it's quiet inside,
 Here in Oscar's mind.

 This sounds like some personal association Kate slipped into the song,
 as she does so often. Perhaps she sat in on a pseudo-seance one Christmas
 where communication with Wilde was the object of the exercise. Who knows?

 P.S. Change Wilde's 'In The Gold Room' and 'Symphony in Yellow' to Warm
 and Blue respectively, and you've got some early Kate!

TSB, Adelaide Australia
'Her ivory hands on the ivory keys
   Strayed in a fitful fantasy' - Oscar Wilde